Professional Rosacea Treatments in Chicago
Rosacea is a common inflammatory condition among men and women, which causes the skin to appear red and irritated. There are several treatments for rosacea, though there is currently no cure.
Rosacea is caused by inflammatory mediators that break down collagen and elastin. This leads to a cascading effect of worsening inflammation and redness. Specific triggers can bring on flare-ups or make existing symptoms worse, so it’s important to identify and avoid them. Common triggers include
- Citrus fruit
- Extreme weather
- Hot or spicy foods and beverages
- Irritating skin care products
- Strong wind
- Sun exposure
- Tomatoes and other nightshades
Symptoms of Rosacea
Initially one may notice blushing or flushing or the skin, but the redness will persist or spread. There are four basic types with unique symptoms.
- Pre-Rosacea: Persistent blushing of facial and neck skin
- Vascular Rosacea: Inflammation of blood vessels beneath the skin causing swollen, warm flesh (most common in women)
- Inflammatory Rosacea: Formation of enlarged blood vessels and acne
- Rhinophyma: Enlarged nasal oil glands that cause the nose to appear swollen or bulbous and red (most common in men)
- Eye Symptoms of Rosacea: Redness, inflammation, burning, tearing, or irritation in eye or on eyelid
Treatment for Rosacea
There are a variety of ways to treat rosacea and control flare-ups. Dietary modifications are recommended to avoid triggers like alcohol, caffeine, and spicy food. Regular use of sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide is recommended to help prevent the worsening of the condition. Other treatment options include antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, antioxidants, and procedures.
- CCSD Rosacea Triple Cream
A topical medication containing Niacinamide and Azeleic Acid that can treat inflammatory skin conditions.
- Prescription Face Wash
Our CCSD Sulfa 5/10 specially formulated wash is an anti-microbial cleanser used to treat symptoms of rosacea and acne.
- Chemical Peels
Peels, such as PCA Sensi Peel, help remove the outer layer of affected skin to reveal fresh new skin beneath.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) Therapy
Our pulsed light therapy helps reduce the appearance of blood vessels under the skin to help fight subdermal inflammation.
- Laser Treatment
Our laser treatments are performed using the ExcelV, which can permanently reduce redness by eliminating tiny dilated blood vessels.
Rosacea Specialist in Chicago
Our dermatologists offer the most effective services and procedures to diagnose rosacea and customize a treatment plan just for you. We are proud to treat our patients with the latest innovations and technology, providing them with the best options available for treatment of skin concerns.