Allergy Patch Test
What is allergic contact dermatitis?
Contact dermatitis is a skin reaction that occurs when you touch or come in close contact with substances to which you are allergic. Skin can become itchy, cracked, red, sore and may even bleed. The substances that cause this reaction are referred to as allergens and can be an ingredient in your shampoo, soap, makeup, aftershave, jewelry, medication and your clothing. You may also have a reaction to an allergen in your workplace because allergens are common in cleaning supplies, paper and ink, disinfectants, construction materials and rubber products. Allergy patch testing is the best way to reduce chances of contact dermatitis.
How does patch testing work?
Patch testing is a reliable, safe, and easy way to find the cause of your specific allergic contact dermatitis. We will apply a panel or series of panels containing allergens to your body. Each chamber will contain a different allergen, and each panel can contain up to 12 individual chambers. You will wear the patches for 2 days. During this time you should not remove the panels. After 48 hours, you will have a follow-up to have the panels removed. Allergic reactions are sometimes seen at this point. However, the patient may need a second reading 2-5 days after the patches are removed to ensure an accurate diagnosis. At this point we’ll be able to inform you of substances that you should avoid and ways that you can prevent future contact with that substance.
Call us today if you have a rash or undiagnosed contact dermatitis and schedule your allergen patch test and stop wondering what you’re allergic to!