Tired of breaking all those New Year’s Resolutions by February? Why not choose a resolution you can stick with AND makes you look great? Here are 5 tips on getting better skin for 2012:
- Cleanse twice a day with a glycolic acid cleanser. Why? Because dead skin cells tend to pile up on the skin, leading to a dull, flaky appearance. Glycolic acids help to gently lift dead skin cells off the skin, and stimulate new collagen formation at the same time. They also help unplug pores which can help prevent acne breakouts.
- Start a topical Vitamin A regimen. Vitamin A helps to normalize the skin cycling process, and also inhibits breakdown of collagen and elastic tissue in the skin (preventing wrinkles). Vitamin A comes in many forms such as prescription tretinoin (Renova, Retin A, Ziana, Atralin), and there are less potent versions over the counter in the form of Retinol. It should be used at night, as it can be inactivated by sunlight.
- Wear sunscreen with SPF30 everyday. This is the easiest (and least expensive!) way to fight sun damage and signs of aging! UV rays from the sun break down collagen and elastic tissue, leading to wrinkles. The UVA rays cause brown, uneven spots to develop, and both UVA and UVB can lead to skin cancer. 1 in 31 light-skinned americans will develop basal cell skin cancer in their lifetime, and 1 in 67 will develop melanoma – the deadliest form of skin cancer. Sunscreen will help protect your skin when used daily.
- Seek the shade and get a spray tan or use self tanner. When you want to have some color for warmer weather, self tanners are the way to go. They look great fast, and won’t cause sun damage. Avene Bronzant Self Tanner also smells great!
- Take omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil gel caps). They are anti-inflammatory which helps with acne, eczema, psoriasis, dry skin, and skin aging. 2000mg daily is recommended.